Signing Up For A Show
To broadcast a show on RantRadio you will need a computer, an Internet connection and either a microphone or a recording of your broadcast. RantRadio broadcasts talk shows and music shows! You'll also need a good idea for a show that you can reliably show up to and consitently be entertaining or informative.
Hardware You Will Need:
- A computer
- A microphone
- A decent connection (cable, ADSL or more) with 150kbps+ upstream. (FOR LIVE SHOWS)
Software You Will Need:
- Audio recording software that can save as mp3. (FOR PRERECORDED SHOWS)
- Newest version of WinAmp and Shoutcast DSP Plug-In or Shoutcast enabled broadcasting software (FOR LIVE SHOWS)
The Next Step:
- Record a 1/2 hour audition show and upload it to Rant's FTP site. Contact us
for the login and password.
- RantRadio Talk's format is 'Talk Radio' so talk your head off! Do a news show, talk about gaming, movie reviews, hacking or anything else you have knowledge or interest in. If you are not sure whether you think the show will be good, please e-mail the program director and propose your idea to them.
Live Broadcasting Shoutcast Settings
Shoutcast DSP - Encoder Tab:
Put these settings in your Shoutcast DSP PlugIn In The Encoder section:
Encoder 1: [DO NOT USE, THIS ENCODER IS BUGGY!]
Encoder Type: None
Encoder 2: [High Bandwidth Stream]
Encoder Type: MP3 Encoder
Encoder Settings: 128kbps, 44.1kHz, Stereo
Shoutcast DSP - Input Tab:
Input Device: Soundcard Input
Input Settings: 44100Hz, Stereo
Mic Input: Line Input
Shoutcast DSP - Output Tab:
Note: Please type them in EXACTLY as typed below.
Click On The YellowPages Button:
Make This Server Public: [PUT A CHECKMARK HERE]
Industrial Description: -=RantRadio Industrial=- Industrial Electronica For Your Mind
Talk Description: -=RantRadio Talk=- Speak Your Mind
Punk Description: -=RantRadio Punk=- The Virtual Mosh Pit
Industrial Genre: Industrial Electronic EBM
Talk Genre: Talk Comedy Spoken Word
Punk Genre: Punk Ska Rock
Enable Title Updates: PUT A CHECKMARK IN THIS
Title: YOUR SHOW NAME HERE
Click Output 1 and Connection Button:
Address: [Supplied By RantRadio When Show Accepted]
Port: [Supplied By RantRadio When Show Accepted]
Password: [Supplied By RantRadio When Show Accepted]
Live Broadcasting Instructions:
- Log in no more than 5 minutes before your show starts to allow the show before you to finish
- Start playing your preshow music (one or two songs) before logging in so when you start broadcasting it won't be dead air.
- Log into the broadcasting server through the web interface. You will be prompted for a login name and password. The website, login name and password will be e-mailed to you by the station manager when you were approved as a show.
- Click on 'kick' to kick off the current rotation of music that is playing. The line willl say 'Source: 127.0.0.1[kick]', click on the kick. You need to kick the current stream in order for you to cut in and broadcast your show.
- After clicking on 'kick' on the website you must click on 'Connect' on your shoutcast DSP plugin on your winamp. If you do not click on 'Connect' within approximately 10 seconds
, the original stream will start again and you will have to kick it again.
- You will now be streaming on the station. After sucessfully connecting to the stream you can now start your show.
- [LIVE SHOWS] Log in no more than 5 minutes before your show starts
- Finish your show five minutes before your time slot is up so other shows do not broadcast over top of the end of your show. For example, if you have a 1 hour time slot, keep your show length to a maximum 55 minutes. If you have a two hour time slot, keep your show length to a maximum of 1 hr 55 minutes.
- Use headphones plugged into your computer or mixing board so you know what your broadcast sounds like.
- Use the RantRadio IRC channel
for posting links or following comments on the show. Interacting with your fans is a good way to build up your listening audience.
- Maintaining an IM or email list is a good way to keep your listeners informed about your show.
- Inviting audience participation through contests, story submissions, artwork, audio clips is a good way to keep your audience involved.
- Promote other shows on RantRadio to increase overall listenership to the station! Remember, it's a big community and the more the merrier!
- Don't miss any shows. Nothing will lose your listeners quicker than not showing up on time or not showing up at all.
- Archive your shows and have them available to download for your listeners. If they like one show, they're bound to like all of them!
- Use SKYPE or a similar program to interact with your listeners. It's free and provides an amazing level of participation from the audience.